What's New in VRSG Version 5
MetaVR has released Virtual Reality Scene Generator™ (VRSG™) version 5.11 and Scenario Editor version 1.4. VRSG version 5.11 contains several new features, enhancements, and 3D content, and is available to customers on active maintenance.
New high-resolution areas of interest have been added to the Continental US plus Alaska and Hawaii (CONUS++) and Afghanistan terrain data sets:
- Prospect Square area of the U.S. Army’s Yuma Proving Ground, Yuma, AZ. The 2 cm per pixel resolution virtual terrain was built with imagery collected by MetaVR's imagery collection UAV and 2 to 10 meter elevation posts and is now part of the contiguous United States coverage. This terrain was delivered and installed on the Battlespace Simulations and MetaVR desktop JTAC simulators at the Special Operations Terminal Attack Controller Course (SOTACC) facility at the Yuma Proving Ground. Running at 60 Hz frame rate, total coverage area of this virtual terrain data set is 17 sq km. The terrain is available on MetaVR’s CONUS ++ Southwest region terrain. (A VRSG screenshot of the virtual Prospect Square area of Yuma Proving Ground is featured as Image of the Month for May on the IMAGE Society website.)
VRSG real-time rendering of 2 cm resolution terrain of the Prospect Square area at the Yuma Proving Ground, AZ. The terrain, which was delivered to the SOTACC facility at Yuma in April, was built with imagery collected by the MetaVRC data collection RC aircraft.
- Sixteen new high-resolution commercial and military airports and airfields to its Continental US plus Alaska and Hawaii (CONUS++) terrain, which were built and modeled over the past 10 months. The airfields have high resolution insets, built with imagery ranging from 0.15 to 0.60 meters per-pixel (mpp), blended with the underlying CONUS++ 1 mpp terrain imagery. Elevation sources range from DTED 1 to 30 meters-per-post (mpp) to 10 mpp blended for seamless transition to custom elevation that matches FAA airfield elevations. Each airfield contains a geospecific control tower, a model of one or more runways with runway lights, taxiways, markings and signage, and culture models such as hangars, terminals and other buildings, fuel tanks, windsocks, antennas, trees and shrubs, and light points.
VRSG real-time rendering of the virtual Tucson International Airport on MetaVR's CONUS++ terrain, with a geospecific control tower and cultural content from MetaVR's 3D
- The modeled village in the geospecific 3D terrain of Kabul province, Afghanistan, has been expanded. The village, based on Khairabad, now includes 680 custom-built 3D structures that match the building footprints visible on the source imagery. The new built-up culture areas in this mountainous region along the Kabul-Gardez Highway include over 2,000 structures instanced from over 160 newly built Afghanistan building models, and 11,000 instances of tree models. These models all feature three DIS damage appearance states.
|VRSG real-time scene featuring new culture models featuring multiple DIS damage appearance states on virtual Afghanistan terrain.
All these high-resolution terrain data sets were built with MetaVR Terrain Tools for Esri® ArcGIS® with models built in Autodesk® 3ds Max®, and are available to VRSG users on active maintenance.
Over 1200 new models (including 298 new military models) have been added to MetaVR’s have been added to MetaVR’s 3D content libraries since the release of VRSG version 5.10 in May 2015. Among the culture models are 160 new building models that were built with 3 damage states (slight damage, moderate damage, and destroyed) used for the expanded Afghanistan terrain.
Among the 298 new military models are several new U.S. Navy sea vessels. There are now over 6,300 models of all types in MetaVR’s 3D content libraries. The new models, including culture damage states and Navy sea vessels, are featured in new demo scenarios that are installed with VRSG.
|VRSG real-time scene featuring new U.S. Navy sea vessel models docked at the port of virtual Kismayo.
Damage switch states will be standard in new culture models added to MetaVR's 3D content libraries. Commercial vehicle models built within the last 3 years have all been upgraded to contain full interiors and articulating doors. Over 250 new animations have been added to VRSG's animation library, including 9 animations in various deceased positions.
- New automatic clustering capability in which VRSG optimizes cultural feature files at load time. Users no longer need to run off-line instancing tools for cultural feature files that contain large numbers of culture models such as trees and vegetation.
- New feature that articulates the z-axis of the front wheels of ground vehicle models to turn in a realistic manner.
- Improved attachment behavior to ensure a trailer attached to another vehicle entity trails behind the towing entity in a more realistic manner.
- New ability to disable the orientation clamping of models on a per-enumeration basis.
- New ModelMap.ini command to control the origin tracks along an entity's x-axis (useful for nonstandard vehicle models).
VRSG version 5.11 includes the following enviromental features:
VRSG real-time scene with new particle-based volumetric clouds featuring a new AT-6 model in flight over the port of virtual Kismayo, Somalia.
- VRSG’s new high-fidelity multi-layer atmospheric model provides continuous variable visibility as a function of altitude and earth curvature of atmospheric layers.
- Users can now specify a water texture on a per-tile directory basis to override VRSG’s default water texture.
- Users can now provide a custom star field pattern with positions and intensities via a lighting table (.csv file).
- The attenuation of sound of emitters that are occluded from the earpoint has been improved.
- VRSG now uses reverse depth buffer mapping for improved depth discernment and reduced z-fighting artifacts.
- VRSG’s simulated UAV KLV metadata has been updated to the MISB ST 0601.8 standard and is now multi-viewport-aware.
- Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is now multi-viewport aware and users can now control AGC on a per-viewport basis.
- Users who use a device other than the Logitech gamepad for manipulating VRSG’s simulated UAV camera view can now configure button mappings for their joystick device in the UAV.ini file.
- Users can now have VRSG record/stream a simulated video feed immediately upon startup with the new Autostart option.
- Onscreen VRSG messages can now be suppressed during simulated video recording/streaming.
- Fields that reported elevation in WGS84 are now correctly reporting elevation in MSL
Videos of the new sample scenarios that are delivered with VRSG were recorded with the new H.264 recording plugin. You can watch the video recordings here or on MetaVR's channel on Vimeo.
The scenarios make use of many of the new features found in VRSG version 5.11.
- MetaVR’s tools for converting models and terrain from OpenFlight model and terrain formats to MetaVR formats now support V13 of the OpenFlight API. 64-bit versions of these tools are now delivered with VRSG.
- New plugin to support the VIOSO warp/blend system.
- New plugin to achieve the distortion correction for the SA-Photonics SA-62 head-mounted display (HMD).
- MetaVR has developed a new sample plugin project that illustrates how to implement a plugin for a simulated military equipment (SME) device.
- VRSG can now read and process multiple files that map per-texture attribution to material codes, (metadesic.irm files), located in any directory in its search path.
- MetaVR has developed a new sample plugin that illustrates how to implement sensor fusion.
- The threat dome syntax has been expanded to include a vertical radius parameter.
- A new feature to overlay images (such as reticle overlays) above the rendered scene via SetDataPDUs is now available.
- The compass rose display now shows magnetic heading instead of true heading.
- New support for a significant number of the CIGI version 3.3 symbology opcodes.
- A new comprehensive sample CIGI UAV simulation host, which illustrates the use of CIGI version 3.3 symbology opcodes.
- Users can now control AGC via CIGI.
- A new spectrum filtering mask for CIGI laser effects.
- New SetDataPDU interface to impose damage on culture models. Users specify a center location as well as the radius of 3 concentric rings, where each ring corresponds to the damage states Slight Damage, Moderate Damage, and Destroyed.
- New SetDataPDU interface to allow control of the parameters VRSG sends in its DesignatorPDUs.
- New SetDataPDU interface to change lighting tables dynamically.
- Expanded SetDataPDU for attaching light lobes or flares to entities. Users can now include a spectrum mask to indicate which spectrum the light/flare is visible.
Delivered with VRSG version 5.11 is VRSG Scenario Editor version 1.4 with new features and enhancements, which include the ability to assign damage effects to culture entities.
| Adjusting damage regions in VRSG Scenario Editor; slight damage along the periphery progresses to total destruction in the center.
In VRSG you can play back scenarios that are built in VRSG Scenario Editor from the Scenarios tab on the VRSG Dashboard.
VRSG version 5.11 is the last version of VRSG based on DirectX 9. The next version of VRSG will be based on DirectX 11.
MetaVR customers on active maintenance valid through April 20, 2016, can obtain the latest release of VRSG version 5.11 by downloading the VRSG 5.11 software and model libraries from their account on MetaVR's Download Server. Contact MetaVR for further information.
You can order
VRSG version 5 directly from MetaVR.